Kaye, Storytelling, & Service Learning

     On page 17 Kaye comments, “A great story has a beginning, middle, & end but not necessarily in that order we are all great stories,” (Kaye 17). Kaye’s structure is unique as it does not take on the typical sequential story order that we are taught about in school. Growing up, it was ingrained in my head that a story must consist of a beginning, middle, and end. More importantly, a story is supposed to have a hero who is called to action, who then crosses a threshold, and finally comes to a solution. Yet, Kaye completely defies this mainstream notion of storytelling.

    Kaye challenges classic storytelling workshops by starting with the ‘end’, then the ‘beginning’, and ending with the ‘middle’. Life is complicated and unpredictable– it cannot just be divided up into three neat sections, because it is just not that simple. ‘Ends’ like break-ups, graduations, or deaths can happen at any time during life. ‘Beginnings’ like the birth of a child, new friendship, a new job can flourish later on in life. And the ‘middle’ represents us. We’re in the middle between beginnings and endings. How we internalize our lives and stories is what makes up that middle part. 

    My story is all over the place, I’m a daughter, student, friend, girlfriend, and so much more. My life is made up of numerous stops and gos; a ‘stop’ like my parent’s divorce, or a ‘go’ like my college career. I cannot organize and then tie up my life into three perfect little boxes, because there really is no end to our stories. They will keep going even after I reach my end. I’m still telling my story and figuring out all of the beginnings and ends that life throws my way. Although I am working through my own story, it is also essential to work toward aiding others in telling their stories. 

    Back home, I volunteered with an organization called Imagine: A Center for Coping with Loss. During my time spent with this organization, I worked with children who lost a parent. I’d facilitate conversations with these children on loss, grief, and resilience. By giving these children an opportunity to talk and listen in a safe place, they are able to move forward and tell their stories rather than shy away. I now volunteer with Bridges, which is a similar experience compared to my previous volunteer experience. By working with these teenagers on homework together, we are helping to build their confidence. More importantly, as an English tutor, I am helping these teens work on their writing skills to promote their love of reading and writing, and so hopefully they now have the tools to go out into the world and write and tell their own stories.

    Just like Kaye said, all great stories are based on vulnerability. Our own vulnerability defines our past and teaches us to be brighter and stronger versions of ourselves. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamilton's understanding of National Time

Stability of "Creative Solitude"

Home in Others