Fish

     The poem, On Starting, immediately reminded me of Nao's reference to fish in the Tale for the Time Being. It was interesting to me how Kaye compares fish to ideas, though I understand what he means. I think that as one gets older, the ideas of beliefs and values are something that can change, which can be very confusing. I know for me, trying to wrap my head around what is happening around me can feel like I am trying to hold onto a fish because sometimes I feel as once I become secure in one thought, another comes around and makes that "fish" slip out of my hands again.

    It is interesting that Kaye refers to this as a "squirming gift" because though it can be a frustrating process, the ability to question your own beliefs and sometimes accept others is a gift. If we were all stuck in one mindset, there would be a stagnant society and it would be difficult to thrive. Also this means that as the world around us changes, our ideas and beliefs can change with it, which is an important part in progression is society. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamilton's understanding of National Time

Stability of "Creative Solitude"

Home in Others